Jean Dizieult

(fl. 1530)

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(fl 1530; d Senlis, 1553). French architect. The accounts of the cathedral chapter of Senlis name Jean Dizieult and Pierre Chambiges (see Chambiges, (2)) as master masons of their church in 1530. Jean is also referred to as lieutenant to the master of the King's Works for the bailly of Senlis; Pierre Chambiges served as master. The two were responsible for the reconstruction of the cathedral transepts, which had been burnt in 1504. The ornate, plastic style of the two façades places them among the major monuments of late Flamboyant architecture in France. The south transept was probably designed by Pierre. Construction was clearly under way by July 1530, when the masters received an advance to complete the portal, including sculptures, and to obtain materials for the next winter's work. The transept was complete in April 1534, when workers began glazing the rose window and leading the roof. Since Pierre was working at Chantilly during this time, it is thought that Jean supervised the construction. The north transept was begun soon thereafter but remained unfinished in 1560. Jean Dizieult was the sole master responsible for the construction of its less ornate and slightly more linear façade. The chapter complained in 1538 of his slow progress, which they attributed to his responsibility for the upkeep of royal buildings. No specific royal buildings have been attributed to him.


From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.