Before the days of the enclosed bridge, a painted canvas screen erected at chest height around the forward side and wing ends of a ship's bridge as a protection against the weather. Up to the 1920s, when strengthened glass was introduced, all small steamships, and even some large ones, used dodgers for protection. The totally protected bridge did not come into general use in small vessels such as fishing trawlers and drifters, tugs, etc. until after the Second World War (1939–45).
Subjects: Maritime History.