(1795–1885). London-born architect and first Professor of Architecture at University College London (1842–65). His work includes the noble Classical Library of University College London (1848–9), and the uninspired Gothic Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, London (1826–9). He was an important teacher and author of Architectural Maxims and Theorems (1847) and Architectura Numismatica (1859). He contributed to the volume of Stuart and Revett's Antiquities of Athens published in 1830, and to the Dictionary of the Architectural Publication Society (1853–92). He was one of the founders of the Institute of British Architects.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.