Initially subtitled ‘L’ Arte della Casa' this magazine devoted to architecture and design has been at the forefront of design debate in Italy since its foundation by Gio Ponti in 1928. Although largely concerned with a Novecento aesthetic in the 1930s it also devoted some attention to more progressive tendencies, as exemplified by Persico's 1934 article ‘A New Start for Architecture’. Under the editorship of Ernesto Rogers in the immediate aftermath of the Second World War the magazine was at the forefront of leftist debates about the place of practical, functional, and well‐designed goods in a democratic society. It took on a less radical but widely discursive stance in its next phase with Ponti taking over editorship from 1947 until 1979. It was during this period that Italian design achieved international recognition for its elegance and sophistication. The more radical Alessandro Mendini took on the role until 1986.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.