In 635 St Oswald, King of Northumbria, and Cynegils, King of the West Saxons, concurred in establishing it as a see, with St Birinus as bishop. About 1072–3 the see was transferred to Lincoln. The abbey of Augustinian Canons, founded in 1140, was suppressed in 1536; the abbey church is now the parish church. In 1939 the bishopric was re-created, suffragan to Oxford.
Subjects: Christianity — History.