Overview

Downing Street


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Was built by Sir George Downing in the 1680s. Only three of the original houses remain, on the north side—no. 10 used by the prime minister, no. 11 by the chancellor, and no. 12 by the whips. Sir Robert Walpole accepted it from George II in 1732 for the prime minister of the day.

Subjects: British History.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.