(1838–1910). Irish architect. Born in Belfast, he trained under Lanyon from 1854, and set up in practice in Dublin in 1875. He gained a reputation as a writer and antiquarian (he was President of the Royal Society of the Antiquaries of Ireland), and was noted for his robustly virile Gothic. His best work is the nave of St Anne's Anglican Cathedral, Belfast (from 1898), in a tough Romanesque Revival. As Diocesan Architect for Down, Connor, and Dromore, he designed many churches, including the fine Kilmore Church, Crossgar, Co. Down (1866–8), Drum-beg Parish Church, Co. Down (1868–70), St Jude's Church, Ormeau Road (1869–75), Belfast, and St Donard's Church, Dundrum, Co. Down (1886). He carried out major restorations at St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin (1899–1904).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.