A group of painters who worked and studied in Germany at the Düsseldorf Kunstakademie between the mid-1820s and 1860s. Some of them had been pupils of Willem Schadow in Berlin and followed him when he became Director at Düsseldorf in 1826. Schadow placed great emphasis in his teaching on accuracy of representation. Among the principal artists of the school were Carl Friedrich Lessing, Ferdinand Theodor Hildebrandt, and Karl Wilhelm Hübner. By 1850 Düsseldorf had replaced Dresden as the premier art academy in Germany.