Overview

Edinburgh, St Giles


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Founded 854, formally dedicated 1243, rebuilt in stone after burning by Richard II (1385), St Giles was created a collegiate church in 1467. On Knox's return from Geneva, it became involved militantly in the new reformed church's activities. Under presbyterian rule, 19th‐cent. reconstruction of the ‘high kirk’ has been enhanced by the Thistle chapel (1911).

Subjects: British History.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.