(b ?Augsburg, ?1500–25; d Munich, 16 April 1588). German architect-builder. He is first recorded (20 June 1558) in Munich, where he was an official of the ducal armoury (Zeugwart). While still occupying this position he was also put in charge of the construction of a ballroom, the Georgssaal (destr.), in the Neuveste of the Munich Residenz, known only from a miniature painted by Hans Mielich (1565; Munich, Bayer. Staatsbib., MS Cod. mus. A., vol. 1). When the Georgssaal was completed in 1560, Egckl was appointed Master Builder to Duke Albert V of Bavaria (reg 1550–79), in control of all building schemes; he evidently held this position until his death, even under Duke William V (reg 1579–98). In this capacity he supervised the construction of the Marstall (1563–7) in Munich; it included the ducal stables and also housed the ducal library and art collection. The surviving arcaded courtyard of this monumental building (later the State Mint; now the Bavarian Department of Historic Building Conservation) is considered Egckl's most important achievement. With its three irregular arcade storeys arranged on top of each other in the Italian Renaissance style, it is among the early examples of this type of construction in Germany. It is not known, however, whether Egckl himself, the mason Caspar Weinhart (d 1597), who also contributed to the building, or even a third person was responsible for the design.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.