(1819–1905), English divine. Educated at St John's College, Cambridge, of which he became a Fellow (1845), he subsequently occupied the chair of divinity at King's College, London (1858–61), and the Hulsean professorship at Cambridge (1860–1). In 1861 he became Dean of Exeter and two years later Bp. of Gloucester and Bristol. On the division of the see into two parts in 1897, he became Bp. of Gloucester, resigning in 1904. He sat on many commissions, being chairman of the British New Testament Revision Company 1870–81, of which he missed only 2 out of the 407 sittings. He edited a considerable number of the Pauline Epistles (Gal., 1854; others 1855–8; 1 Cor., 1887) and wrote several other theological and religious books.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.