A periodical founded in 1908 through the inspiration of a group of writers including Conrad, H. G. Wells, and E. Garnett, with the purpose, in the words of its first editor F. M. Ford (then Hueffer) of ‘giving imaginative literature a chance in England’. Ford published work by established writers such as Arnold Bennett, Galsworthy, H. James, Hardy, and Wells, and by newcomers such as D. H. Lawrence and W. Lewis. He was replaced by Austin Harrison, who remained editor until 1923. It was eventually merged with the National Review.
Subjects: Literary Studies (20th Century onwards).