(fl ?Erfurt, c. 1450–75). German painter. He is named after the high altar in the Reglerkirche in Erfurt, which has paintings depicting the Passion (see fig.). Its outer sides and predella were probably executed by another artist, following this Master's design. Characteristic of the Master of the Erfurt Regler Altar are figures, set in narrow, confined spaces, who seem frozen in the middle of violent movements, their faces often grotesquely distorted (as with the tormentors of Christ, for example). On the one hand he seems to have been influenced by painters of the Middle Rhine area, such as the Master of the Oberstein Altar (Oberstein an der Nahe, Felsenkirche), also known as the Master of the Mainz Derision; on the other, the Master of the Tucher Altar (Nuremberg, Franenkirche) seems to have made a direct impression on him. He himself was a formative influence, for example on the painter who produced the wings for the Passion altarpiece of the Klosterkirche at Bad Hersfeld (Kassel, Schloss Wilhelmshöhe). Also attributed to the Master are wings from an altar of the Virgin (Munich, Alte Pin.) and two depicting the Crucifixion and Ascension (Karlsruhe, Staatl. Ksthalle) that were possibly sections of two corresponding altarpieces, of unknown origin.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.