German architect and historian. He enlarged the Germanisches Nationalmuseum (German National Museum), Nuremberg (1860s), and restored churches in Nuremberg, Cologne, Bonn, and elsewhere. He acquired a reputation as an expert on Romanesque architecture, and published extensively. Among his works were Die mittelalterlichen Kunstdenkmäler der Stadt Krakau (Medieval Historic Buildings in Kraków—1869) and Nord-Deutschlands Backsteinbau im Mittelalter (North-German Brick Architecture of the Middle Ages—1877).
Sturgis et al. (1901–2);Jane Turner (1996)