The federation of autonomous Protestant territorial Churches in Germany formed in 1945. Seven of the 27 member Churches were already united in the Evangelical Church of the Union, which included Lutheran and Reformed Churches. Within these Churches there is full sacramental fellowship, but the Lutheran Churches are not yet officially in full communion with them or the other Reformed Churches. In 1948 the Lutheran territorial Churches formed the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany within the Evangelical Church in Germany. Attempts to reach a greater measure of unity among the members of the Evangelical Church in Germany, based on the so-called Leuenberg Concord of 1973, failed to achieve ratification in all the member Churches.