German landscape-gardener. He is known primarily for his work at the Park of Schloss Wörlitz, near Dessau, one of the most important and beautiful gardens of allusion of the C18 Enlightenment, designed for the Prince of Anhalt-Dessau in collaboration with Erdmannsdorff, and the gardeners Ludwig Schoch and Johann Georg Schoch. The Park with its fabriques was exemplary and mnemonic in intention, with its series of allusions, including an iron bridge based on the original by T. F. Pritchard in Salop. (1775–9), a Rousseauinsel (Rousseau-Island) based on the Île des Peupliers (Isle of Poplars) at Ermenonville, France, and a Synagogue (to demonstrate freedom from bigotry).
R. Alex (ed.) (1986, 1988);Garden History, xxiv/2 (1996), 221–36;Kleinschmidt & Bufe (1997)