Verona-born architect and painter. His work suggests the Roman Classicism of Bramante and Raphael, and he was an important practitioner of the style in Northern Italy. His garden-houses, the Loggia Cornaro and Odeon (1524), now part of the Palazzo Giustiniani, Padua, pre-date designs by Palladio and Sansovino, yet have architectural characteristics of the later masters' works. He may have been the first to design a formal country villa, with his Villa dei Vescovi, Luvigliano, near Padua (c. 1529–35), which has a sophisticated arched loggia of remarkable architectural quality. He designed the handsome town-gates (Porta di San Giovanni (1528) and Porta di Savonarola (1530)) and worked on the Cappella del Santo (from 1533) in the Church of Sant'Antonio, all in Padua.
Boucher (1998);Heydenreich (1996);Lotz (1977);P. Murray (1986);Puppi et al. (eds.) (1994)
Subjects: Architecture — Early Modern History (1500 to 1700).