to farthell

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A defunct nautical term meaning to furl, using gaskets at the bunt of the sails but rope-yarns at the yardarms as the weight of the sail there was not so great. The word referred only to the mainsail, foresail, and spritsail of square-rigged ships. The clew lines leading to the yardarms to furl the topsails and topgallant sails were sometimes called farthelling lines. It is an oddity of old-time maritime phraseology that topsails and topgallants were always described as furled, not farthelled, though they were fitted with farthelling lines.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.