Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

In a general educational context this most often refers to someone who holds a funded research post in an institution of higher education, and is known in full as a research fellow. These are usually fixed‐term contract posts created for the furtherance of specific research projects. The funding may come from within the university or college itself, or from an external partner organization or sponsor, which may give its name to the fellowship. The term may also be used to indicate membership of a professional or academic group, as in ‘Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects’ (FRIBA). It is also a title given to senior members of Oxford or Cambridge colleges who, as well as their teaching duties, contribute to decision‐making on academic and administrative matters relating to their college.

Subjects: Education.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.