(1894–1974) Fish qualified in dentistry at the University of Manchester in 1914 and after the First World War joined the staff of the Royal Dental Hospital, London, where he was awarded a DSc for his research into the anatomical, physiological, and pathological factors that determine oral function and disorders. This led to the establishment of a periodontal clinic at the Royal Dental Hospital and the inauguration of the British Society of Periodontology, of which Fish was the first president. He later became president of the Odontological Section of the Royal Society of Medicine and an honorary fellow of the society. He was dean of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of England from 1956 to 1959 and in 1964 he had conferred on him the first honorary fellowship of the Faculty of Dentistry of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. He was elected to the Dental Board of the United Kingdom in 1939 and became its chairman in 1944. He was created CBE in 1947 and knighted in 1954. As the first president of the General Dental Council (GDC) in 1956, he oversaw the freeing of dentistry from medical administration. The Royal College of Surgeons of England has instituted a Wilfred Fish Research Fellowship and the GDC an annual eponymous lecture. He retired in 1961 but continued to contribute to discussions in dental journals until his death.