Quick Reference

A decorative carved or painted floral pattern, square in shape, employed in Gothic architecture. The fleuron was also used for decorative borders and to embellish frames. In addition, it is often found as a decorative element at the centre of each face of the Corinthian abacus.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »