flock prints

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A rare type of 15th-century woodcut in which the block is ‘inked’ with glue and then printed. While the glue is still wet on the paper the surface is dusted with ‘flock’ (fluff of minced wool) which adheres to the printed design. The technique was later adapted in the 19th century for the manufacture of ‘flocked’ wallpapers, notable for their rich, heavy patterning.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.