Russian theologian. He left Russia in 1920 and in 1926 became a professor at the Orthodox Theological Academy of St Sergius in Paris. Moving to the USA in 1948, he held professorial chairs at Harvard and Princeton. He wrote (mainly in Russian) on the Greek Fathers and published a study of Russian religious thought. He was active in the Ecumenical Movement.