County of north‐east Wales lying along the estuary of the river Dee. The shire was created at the statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and was coincident with the Welsh cantref (hundred) of Tregeingl. It was not modified until 1974 when Flintshire became part of Clwyd and was divided into three districts, Rhuddlan, Delyn, and Alyn and Deeside. In 1996 the county was reconstituted from the three districts.
The economy is dominated by tourism, extensively developed on the north coast, and industry. The last coal mine, at Point of Ayr, closed in 1996, and iron and steel production has also ceased, although a range of engineering and electronic industry has succeeded. In such a border county, Welsh‐speaking proportions are low, ranging from 9.6 per cent in Alyn and Deeside, to 17.8 in Delyn, and 16.2 per cent in Rhuddlan.
Subjects: British History.