a positivist and anti‐orthodox literary periodical. G. H. Lewes, the first editor, was succeeded by John Morley. Almost all numbers ran a serialized novel; the first contained a chapter of Trollope's The Belton Estate and a part of Bagehot's The English Constitution. The Review published work by Thackeray, G. Eliot, M. Arnold, T. H. Huxley, Meredith, D. G. Rossetti, L. Stephen, Pater, and Hardy, among others. In the 20th cent. work published included that of H. James, Gissing, Kipling, H. G. Wells, Joyce, and Pound. In 1934 it became the Fortnightly, under which title it survived until 1954. It was then incorporated in the Contemporary Review.
Subjects: Literature — Philosophy.