Hinrik Funhof

(d. 1475)

Quick Reference

(fl Hamburg, 1475; d 1485). German painter. He first appears in Hamburg records in 1475, marrying the widow of Hans Borneman and taking over this painter's workshop. At the same time municipal payments for painted signs and paintings are recorded, as they are in 1480, 1481 and 1483. From 1479 to 1484 Funhof received larger payments for an altarpiece in St Georg, his parish church. In 1484 he received a payment from the Brotherhood of Our Dear Ladies’ Coronation for a work in the cathedral. Of these works in Hamburg only the small panel of the Virgin with the Ears of Corn (Hamburg, Ksthalle), from the convent of St Mary Magdalene, remains. The church register of St Georg, however, also notes Funhof being paid in 1482 for a journey to Lüneburg. The registers of St Johannis in Lüneburg connect this with a commission for four large panels for its high altar, final payments for which were made to Funhof's widow in 1485, when his name is also recorded in a Hamburg register of deaths. The four large panels (in situ), on the altarpiece's second view, show the legends of St Cecilia, St John the Baptist, St George and St Ursula.


From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.