Italy's major collection of art from the late 19th century onwards. It was founded in 1883 as one of the expressions of national pride that followed the unification of the country, and its original purpose was the documentation and promotion of living Italian artists. In 1911 the collection moved into a new building, the Palazzo delle Belle Arti, in the grounds of the Villa Borghese near the British School in Rome. In 1933 the building was enlarged and in 1988 a new wing was added to house the large collection of international contemporary art acquired since the Second World War. The Galleria Nazionale is not to be confused with Rome's municipal museum of ‘modern art’, the Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna, which is much smaller and devoted mainly to 19th-century art.