Founded in 1409 by Tsongkhapa, Ganden (‘Blissful’) was the foremost of Gelukpa teaching monasteries. It is located on the ridge of Mt. Wangkur on the south bank of the Kyichu river to the east of Lhasa. It was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution and its population of 3,000 monks was reduced to only a few hundred. In recent years significant restoration work has been carried out.