London-born English architect. He was apprenticed to Chambers and established his own practice c.1765. With John Woolfe (d. 1793) he produced the fourth and fifth volumes of Vitruvius Britannicus (1767 and 1771), and also published Six Designs of Frizes (1767) and two volumes on ornament (1778). He designed Nottingham County Hall (1770), and went to Dublin in 1781 to oversee the erection of his Custom House, the design of which owes much to Chambers's Somerset House in London. His excellent contacts ensured he had plenty of work, including the Four Courts (1786–1802) and the new portico and screen-wall for the Parliament House (1785–9), Dublin. His architecture was influenced by French Neo-Classicism (through Chambers), but he also admired Wren. He created some of Ireland's most outstanding buildings.
Colvin (1995);M. Craig (1969, 1982);H. Duffy 1999);Gandon (1969);McParland (1985);Mulvany (1969);Summerson (ed.) (1993)
Subjects: Architecture — Regional and National History.