English architects and draughtsmen. Joseph Michael (1771–1843), who was the eldest, travelled to Italy (1794–7) with C. H. Tatham, and became a draughtsman in Soane's office. Thereafter, even though he established his own practice in 1801, he undertook work for Soane from time to time (especially fine renderings of Soane's designs), and produced a large number of accomplished and eclectic architectural fantasies from 1789 to 1838. He published The Rural Architect and Designs for Cottages, Cottage Farms and other Rural Buildings in 1805. As an architect, Gandy perhaps lacked the discipline to make a success of practice, but he produced some competent work, including the completion of Harrison's Courts and Gaol, Lancaster (1802–21), the ‘Doric House’, Sion Hill, Bath (c. 1810–12—a remarkable severe Grecian building), and Storrs Hall and Boat House, Windermere, Westmd. (1804–11).
Michael (1778–1862) studied under his brother and became James Wyatt's assistant before travelling in India and China. He was later employed as a draughtsman by Wyatville, and, with Baud and Britton, published Architectural Illustrations of Windsor Castle (1842). John Peter (1787–1850)—who changed his name to Deering in 1828—was a pupil of James Wyatt, and in 1811–13 travelled to Greece and Asia Minor with Sir William Gell and Francis Octavius Bedford for the Society of Dilettanti: the results of the journey were published as Unedited Antiquities of Attica (1817) and Volume III of Antiquities of Ionia (1840). He co-authored (with Gell) Pompeiana (1817–19), an important work on the excavations. He was regarded as an authority on Greek architecture, and designed the handsome St Mark's Church, North Audley Street, London (1825–8), which was typical of his scholarly approach. Other works by him include the Tudor Gothic Infirmary, Stamford, Lincs. (1826–8), the County Gaol, Cardiff, Glamorgan (1827–32), and houses in South Street, Mayfair, London (c. 1828–30).
Colvin (1995);Lukacher (2002);Summerson (ed.) (1963)Windsor-Liscombe (1980)