(1839–1906). English Gothic Revival architect. He was a pupil of the elder Scott. In partnership (1869–98) with G. F. Bodley, he made a major contribution to the work of the firm, notably at St Augustine, Pendlebury, Manchester (1870–4), and the exquisite Holy Angels, Hoar Cross, Staffs. (1872–6). After the partnership was dissolved, Garner carried out works at Yarnton Manor, Oxon., and Moreton House, Hampstead, among other commissions. Bentley considered him a designer of genius, and there is certainly a warmth in the buildings he erected in collaboration with Bodley that is lacking when the latter worked on his own. He wrote The Domestic Architecture of England during the Tudor Period (1908–11), with Arthur James Stratton (1872–1955). Garner (who became an RC) designed the chancel at Downside Abbey, Som. (1901–5), as fine a work of liturgiological and ecclesiological scholarship as may be found in England.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.