This, the oldest and highest order, was instituted in 1348 by Edward III in imitation of King Arthur and the great deeds of chivalry. Membership was limited to the sovereign, prince of Wales, and 24 knights. The headquarters of the order is at Windsor, where St George's chapel was built by Edward IV. The significant decorations are the Star, a garter to be worn below the left knee, and a diagonal blue ribbon.
Subjects: Warfare and Defence — History.