Museum consisting primarily of an outstanding collection of modern art. It had its origins in a collection founded in 1862 to illustrate the history of The Hague, but it was enriched to the extent that the artistic aspect of the collection took over from the historical. In 1935 it moved into a new building designed by the Dutch architect H. P. Berlage in a style in which the severe geometry of De Stijl is modified with vernacular touches. The art department has a fine representation of 19th- and 20th-century art from the Netherlands and elsewhere, including the largest Mondrian collection in the world. There are also departments devoted to decorative arts and music.