Philipp Gerlach


Quick Reference


Born in Spandau, Brandenburg, he became head of the State Building Administration in 1720, and laid out the Berlin district of Friedrichstadt (1732–6), complete with square, octagonal, and circular urban spaces. He designed a number of the most important buildings for this quarter, including the Palais von Marschall (1735–6–destroyed), and the Kammergericht (Supreme Court–1733–5), where the dominant influence was French. His Garrison Church, Potsdam (1731–5), had the finest Baroque tower in Northern Germany before its destruction in the 1939–45 war.

E. Hempel (1965);Reuther (1969);Zucker (1959)

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries