Gibbs surround

Related Overviews



James Gibbs (1682—1754) architect


'Gibbs surround' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Architecture


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Banded architrave around a door-case, niche, or window, usually with a massive keystone and voussoirs breaking into the top of the architrave. Named after Gibbs (who illustrated and often employed it) the surround was widely used by other C18 and later architects.

Gibbs surround (left) Window, (right) Door-case.

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.