(1817–92). Prolific English architect. He trained with Hansom and Charles Barry, and most of his work was for bank buildings, using the Italianate palazzo treatment he had learnt from Barry. Typical of his work was the National Provincial Bank, Bishopsgate, London (1864–5). He designed the impressive Todmorden Town Hall, Yorks. (1860–75—essentially a Roman temple with an engaged Composite Order set on a podium) and the Rundbogenstil Central Baptist Chapel, Bloomsbury, London (1845–8).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.