Italian-born architect, he settled in Moscow with his father, Giacomo. They built the Widows' House (1809–18— with its impressive octastyle portico of unfluted Greek Doric columns) and the Guardianship Council Building (1823–6—with its portico of Ionic columns and its vaulted staircase-hall with two tiers of unfluted columns). Probably his finest work is the Lunin House (1818–23), but his largest commission was the reconstruction (1817–19) of Kazakov's Moscow University, where he replaced the Ionic Order on the entrance-portico with a tougher Greek Doric Order, and remodelled the side-pavilions to render them more severe. He designed the Khruschev (1814) and Lopukhin (1817–22) Houses, both essentially Palladian, but with Empire enrichments. His main importance lies in the bold Neo-Classicism he promoted, and in his influence on Russian architecture that, to some extent, paralleled that of Gilly in Prussia. He altered Kazakov's Music Pavilion of the Equerry on the Kuzminki Estate (1819), and completed Kazakov's and Quarenghi's Suburban Palace, begun in 1788, in the 1820s.
G. Hamilton (1983);Middleton & Watkin (1987)