(1715–99). Italian sculptor active in Portugal. He was called to Portugal around 1744 to supervise the assembly of the chapel of S. John the Baptist in S. Roque, Lisbon, a work ordered from Luigi Vanvitelli and Nicola Salvi in Rome. His principal work for the Portuguese crown was the replacement of the painted altarpieces at the Palace-Convent of Mafra with marble reliefs. Begun in 1750, the sequence of reliefs was nearing completion when Giusti went blind in 1791. The school that he established at Mafra produced the sculptors who dominated the art in Portugal well into the 19th century.
From The Oxford Companion to Western Art in Oxford Reference.