Overview

Glamorgan


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

County of south Wales. It was part of the Welsh kingdom of Glywysing, but in the 10th cent., under Morgan Hen, became known as Gwlad Morgan. Under the Normans it was converted to the lordship of Glamorgan, and remained a lordship of the march until 1536, when it was made into a shire at the Act of Union with England. In 1974 it was divided into three—South, Mid, and West Glamorgan.

The county was best known for the coalfield and the mining villages strung out along the valleys. The iron and steel industry of the late 18th and 19th cents. developed on the northern outcrop in places such as Merthyr Tydfil. The British Steel plant at Margam in West Glamorgan is the contemporary successor. Coal‐mining has virtually ceased. Modern industry has collected about the M4 motorway, and north of Cardiff, which grew as a port and is now the capital of Wales.

Subjects: British History.


Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »


Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.