Overview

Glenn Research Center


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1958–99)

NASA facility located in Cleveland, Ohio. It is NASA's leading centre for aeropropulsion and turbomachinery, developing new propulsion, power, and communications technologies for space missions, including the International Space Station. It conducts microgravity research into fluid physics, combustion science, and some material science, managing many experiments aboard space shuttles and space stations. It also conducts research to develop and transfer technology to US industry.

The centre was established in 1941 as the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA). It was later renamed the Flight Propulsion Research Laboratory in 1947, the Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory in 1948 (after NACA director George W Lewis), and the NASA Lewis Research Center in 1958; it was named in honour of astronaut John Glenn in 1999. In 2001, it had more than 3 600 employees, over half of them being scientists and engineers, and more than 150 buildings, as well as additional facilities near Sandusky, Ohio.

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/ Tutorials and technical reports on jet propulsion and space flight engineering: the focus of the site is the research and engineering capabilities of the centre. There is a well-stocked image gallery with pictures of Glenn, its projects, and its personnel. A clickable aerial view of the facility at Lewis Field allows visitors to take a virtual tour and to find out what goes on in many of the buildings.

Subjects: Astronomy and Astrophysics.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.