(1839/40–1900). English architect, the most distinguished of the Gothic Revival working in Leicester in the second half of C19. He designed the polychrome brick church of St Andrew, Tur Langton, Leics. (1865–6), the Leicestershire (now Midland) Bank, Granby Street, Leicester—in a Continental Gothic poly-chrome manner—(1872–4), the ornate Gothic clock-tower, Leicester (1868), and numerous houses and other buildings in and around Leicester.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.