(fl c. 1431–5). German painter. He is named after the high altarpiece of the Benedictine monastery of St Michael in Lüneburg. The Golden Panel was a Romanesque gold antependium (destr. after 1698) that housed relics and treasures from the monastery. Its painted double wings (Hannover, Niedersächs. Landesmus.) are likely to have been added in 1431 to mark the completed reconstruction of the partially destroyed church. The closed wings (oak, 2.31×1.84 m each) showed the Crucifixion juxtaposed with its typological parallel, the Brazen Serpent. The inside of the outer wings and the outside of the inner wings depict 36 scenes from the Life of the Virgin and the Passion of Christ, starting with an Annunciation and culminating in the Coronation of the Virgin. On the inside, the inner wings are decorated with carved and gilded figures of saints and prophets.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.