Goldsmiths College

Quick Reference

Educational institute in the New Cross district of south-east London set up in 1891 as the Technical and Recreative Institute of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. It was acquired by the University of London and renamed Goldsmiths' College in 1904. The apostrophe was dropped in 1993 and since 2006 it has branded itself as Goldsmiths University of London. Its fine art department became enormously influential in the 1980s, especially through the teaching of Michael Craig-Martin, whose students included several of the Young British Artists.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries