Moscow architect, he worked with his brother, Pantelemon (1882–1945), who was first a Neo-Classicist and then a Constructivist. Ilya's Zuyev Workers' Club, Moscow (1926–8), was one of the bolder essays in Constructivism. When the Stalinist era insisted on ‘Socialist Realism’ and a return to Neo-Classicism, Ilya designed in that mode. He was in charge of the redevelopment of Moscow from 1933, responsible for numerous housing-schemes and public buildings. His work includes the Theatre, Minsk (1934), the Hydro-Electric Station, Gorky (1936–40), and collective housing on the Yausky Boulevard, Moscow (1934). His monumental designs for battle memorials of the 1940s were firmly traditionalist, drawing on historical allusions: a good example was the Monument to the Defence of Moscow (1941—unrealized).
CoE (1995);Kopp (1978);O. Shvidkovsky (1970)