Portuguese painter, first recorded in 1450, when he was appointed court painter by Alfonso V. No works certainly by his hand survive, but there is strong circumstantial evidence that he was responsible for the St Vincent polyptych (c.1460–70, Mus. Nacional de Arte Antiga, Lisbon), the outstanding Portuguese painting of the 15th century. It shows St Vincent of Saragossa, the patron saint of Lisbon, being venerated by the king and various classes of Portuguese society. The style is rather dry, but powerfully realistic, and the polyptych contains a superb gallery of highly individualized portraits of members of the court, including a presumed self-portrait. There are affinities with contemporary Burgundian and Flemish art, especially the work of Bouts.