Harvey Goodwin was born in King's Lynn and died in Bishopsthorpe, York on 25 November 1891. He was educated at a private school in High Wycombe until 1834, and at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, which he entered in 1835. Elected to a Scholarship in 1837, he graduated in 1840, coming second in the Mathematical Tripos, proceeding MA in 1843 and DD in 1859. He was made mathematical lecturer at Caius immediately on graduation and was elected Fellow in 1841, being also ordained deacon (1842) and priest (1844). Along with John Mason Neale and others, he was one of the founders of the Cambridge Ecclesiological Society (later the Cambridge Camden Society). He took charge of the parish of St Giles, Cambridge in 1844, and continued to live in Cambridge after his marriage in 1845 (when he had to vacate his Fellowship) involving himself in parish work and taking pupils. He became incumbent of St Edward's, Cambridge in 1848, where his reputation and influence – particularly amongst undergraduates – continued to grow. He was appointed Dean of Ely in 1858, where he continued the work of restoration of the cathedral. In 1869 he became Bishop of Carlisle, where he remained until his death.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.