John Goodwin was born in Norfolk and died in London. He was educated at Queen's College, Cambridge. After preaching in Norfolk and Kent he became vicar of St Stephen's, Coleman Street, London in 1633. On being ejected in 1645 for refusing to administer baptism and the Lord's Supper indiscriminately, he established an Independent church in Coleman Street. He was restored to his parish church in 1659, but deprived of it again in 1661.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.