Bp. of Oxford, 1911–19. The first principal of Pusey House, Oxford (1884–93), he defended the Catholic doctrine of episcopacy in The Ministry of the Christian Church (1888), and edited Lux Mundi (1889). His independent mind and strength of character brought a new strand into the Anglo-Catholic Movement. He was also involved in the foundation of the Community of the Resurrection. In 1902 he became Bp. of Worcester, and in 1905 the first Bp. of Birmingham. Here he was highly successful. He was less happy after his translation to Oxford.