(1787–1852). English architect and civil engineer. His two sons, John (c. 1807–68) and Benjamin (1813–58) were also architects, and Benjamin, a pupil of A. C. Pugin, worked with his father from c. 1831 until 1852. They designed numerous undistinguished churches and altered medieval fabric in a destructive and unscholarly way. Their best work was for the railways, and includes the wrought-iron suspension-bridge, Whorlton, near Barnard Castle, Co. Durham (1829–31), and Tynemouth Railway Station, Northum. (1847). In Newcastle upon Tyne they designed the Literary and Philosophical Society's Library (1822–5), the Theatre (1836–7), the Grey Column (1837–8), the Corn Exchange and Cloth Market (1838–9—demolished 1854 and 1972), the Corn Warehouse (1848), and the United Secession Meeting House (1821–2). One of their best works was the Greek Doric temple, Penshaw Hill (1840).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.