Director of Engineering and Architectural Works for the British Admiralty (1850–64), he was responsible for the factory, smithy, foundry, ship-fitting shop, and boat-store at Sheerness, Kent (1856–7), all remarkably straightforward well-crafted buildings within the functional tradition, with no stylistic pre-tensions. The boat-store appears to be the very first four-storeyed lightly clad iron-framed structure.
Cruickshank (ed.) (1996);Pevsner (ed.); Buildings of England, North East and East Kent (1976)